Nov 4, 2010

It's English time!

Few weeks ago: one of tasks designated to us is the assistance in language courses in OKO. So far I visit English classes for children in age 9-12 and I really enjoy to work together with them. I have to think about some activities for children (worksheets, games etc.) – something easy but not obvious and not boring. It takes time! Basically kids are really open and interested in everything I suggested so I have broken the ice surprisingly quickly. Nice one! And it's lucky, there is always teacher with me, so if there are some misunderstandings, he/she takes language mediation between us over.


Nowadays: Jitka, one of our English teacher, is absent from work because of her holiday and it was necessary to arrange cover, so I've taken up 3 her groups. Uhlala! I'm finding this task an exciting challenge! It's completely different when you are alone with 10 small monsters ;) in the classroom and you are there not any more just for fun (although we have fun!) but to really teach them. And how to do well without good Czech knowledge? Well, it's possible! ;) All my time is taken up preparing these lessons. But it's worth and I hope they like it. Because it's not only up to me how the lessons look like – I have to admit that children are really helpful and understanding when we have a problem with communication. They teach my new Czech vocabulary and I'm developing my speaking skills with every lesson – that's my biggest profit on this cover.




By the way: in this school year OKO formed also English class for 2-3-year-old-children. Lessons begin at 9 o'clock in the morning every Monday and Wednesday. And I took the opportunity to participate in this venture. The truth is, I had no idea am I the right person for this job? Children are so small! Jana, teacher responsible for babies' course, is nice, friendly and creative and she plays a leaning role actually. I just have to support her in action. We are playing, singing, running, jumping – we're having fun! It's really interesting to watch how kids are making progress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment